Complete First Unit 5
Ask two or three questions from below, with follow up questions such as “Why makes you say that?” if you like, then switch who takes the examiner role.
- Are there times when it’s better to let your child start work rather than going to university?
- At what age do you think children should be allowed to decide which subjects they study at school?
- Do you think competitive sport is always a good thing for schoolchildren?
- Do you think it’s a good idea to start studying foreign languages when you are very young?
- Do you think it’s good for parents to speak to their children in a foreign language to help them learn it?
- How important do you think it is to go to university?
- Is it a good thing for young people to go straight onto a postgraduate course?
- More and more people are working and studying at the same time these days. Why do you think this is?
- What can you do to make sure your studies help your future career?
- What do you think people like about studying abroad?
- What do you think the advantages of a single national university entrance test are?
- What do you think the disadvantages of mixed-level classes are?
- What is the best way to make children motivated to learn?
- Why do you think cram schools are popular?
- Why do you think some people are so interested in taking language exams?
- Why do you think some people prefer cramming to studying over the whole course?
- Do you think all children should study foreign languages?
Look at all the questions above and ask about any you don’t understand.
Change groups and discuss the question below, making sure you follow the format that is given.
In your English class, you have been talking about what subjects should be compulsory at secondary school. Now your English teacher has asked you to discuss one part of that question in more detail. Discuss the question below, making sure you cover all the points given and give reasons for your point of view.
All young people should study a foreign language as part of their education. Do you agree?
- Working life
- Travel and holidays
- ….. (your own idea)
Look at the similar writing task on page 60 and share your ideas on how you would tackle it in the exam.
PDF version for easy saving and printing: FCE Speaking Part Four Writing Part One on education