Business Result Pre-Intermediate Unit 11
Ask your partner personal questions about these topics:
– Weekend(s)/ Days off
– Food and drink
– Present projects
– Accommodation/ Home town
Ask any questions from below that are about things you haven’t talked about yet:
– What foreign food do you like?
– What’s your favourite food?
– Have you ever been abroad?/ Have you ever been to another country?
– What countries would you like to visit?
– What do you usually do at the weekend?
– Do you have any plans for the weekend?
– What did you do last weekend?
– What are you working on at the moment?
– Do you live near here?
– Where are you from?/ Where do you come from?
Roleplay the following situations, including the small talk
– Meet a supplier in reception and chat before you start your meeting
– You are using a drinks machine at the same time as a colleague
– Meet a foreign client at the airport and take them to their hotel in your car, chatting to them as you are driving
– You are using the internet during your lunch break and talking about what you are reading with the colleague who sits next to you
Listen to four conversations (Tapescript 53) and match them to the four situations above.
PDF version for easy printing: Social English for Business
Over 100 pages of small talk photocopiable and other social English activities here: https://www.usingenglish.com/e-books/social-english/