New Headway Pre Intermediate U 12 Lesson 2
Stage 1- Warmer- Strangers on a Train
(Optional stage- brainstorm good conversational starters with strangers)
Imagine your partner is a stranger and start a conversation with them using one of the opening sentences below:
1. Do you mind if I open the window?
2. Do you mind if I smoke?
3. Have you got a light?
4. Have you got the time?
5. Do you mind if I sit here?
6. Can I borrow your paper (= newspaper)?
7. Do you know what time this train arrives at Heathrow (= Heathrow Airport)?
Stage 2- Link to Everyday English page 101
Roleplay conversations with your partner starting with the lines below from page 101 with your books closed (you can continue the conversations anyway you like):
Excuse me! Can I get past?
I hear you’re going to get married soon. Congratulations!
Oh, dear! Look at the time! Hurry up, or we’ll miss the train.
Good luck in your exam!
(Optional stage- practice the dialogues on page 101, covering more and more lines until you are doing the whole dialogues from memory)
Stage 3- Phrasal verb dialogues (link to page 100)
Start dialogues with the following sentences:
1. Put on something warm. It’s cold today.
2. There’s some ice-cream in the freezer. Can you get it out?
3. Why are your clothes on the floor? Please pick them up.
4. I’m going to take the dog out for a walk.
5. When are you going back to your country?
PDF version for easy saving and printing: Starting conversations