New Cutting Edge Intermediate Module 5
Worksheet 1- Jobs
Choose a job below and answer yes/ no questions until your partner guesses which
Plumber Factory worker Secretary/ PA
Geography teacher Solicitor/ barrister/ attorney/ lawyer
Judge/ magistrate Homemaker/ housewife/ househusband
Fire-fighter (=fireman) Police officer (= policeman)
Spy/ secret agent Farmer Bus driver
Pilot Receptionist Shop assistant
Air hostess (= air stewardess, flight attendant or cabin crew)
Security guard/ bouncer Beachcomber Private tutor
Lecturer/ professor Nanny/ au pair/ babysitter Office worker
Businessman Bank clerk Banker
Director/ executive (Middle) manager Accountant
GP/ doctor/ surgeon CEO/ managing director Masseur
Nurse/ midwife Journalist
Novelist/ writer/ columnist/ poet Playwright/ screenwriter
Newsreader Cameraman Photographer
National politician/ PM/ MP/ senator/ congressman
Local politician/ local councillor/ mayor
Door to door salesman Vet/ veterinarian Model
Baker/ pastry chef Cook/ chef/ kitchen hand Butcher
Waiter/ waitress/ busboy Computer programmer Cashier
Barber/ hairdresser/ stylist Builder/ bricklayer Carpenter
Cycle courier/ motorcycle courier Cleaner Dentist
Electrician Gardener/ landscape gardener Bell boy/ porter
Postman/ letter carrier Chambermaid Librarian
Mechanic Estate agent Tailor
Travel agent Lorry driver/ truck driver Zoo keeper
Psychologist Psychiatrist Private detective
Researcher Stand up comedian Social worker
Care worker/ carer Clown/ circus performer Actor/ actress
Bin man/ garbage disposal man Market trader Paparazzi
Lab assistant (= laboratory technician)
Television presenter Hotelier/ hotel manager Thatcher
Busker/ street performer Director/ producer Extra
What yes/ no questions could you ask? Check on the next page for more ideas.
Guess the job 20 questions and personalisation
Worksheet 2- 20 Questions
Do you need special tools/ special equipment/ qualifications/ special training/ good people skills/ good hand eye coordination/ a driving license?
Do you need to study at university?
Do you need to be (physically) fit/ intelligent/ well organised/ creative/ adaptable/ good with numbers/ diplomatic?
Do you need to travel?
Do you work inside/ outside?
Do you work in an office/ school/ shop/ factory/ warehouse?
Is this job well-paid/ badly-paid/ high status/ secure/ stressful/ challenging/ dangerous/ repetitive/ boring/ interesting/ varied/ dirty/ tiring?
Do you work in the morning/ at night/ shifts/ long hours?
Do you spend a lot of time on a computer/ on the phone/ travelling?
Do you supervise other people?
Do you have to wear protective clothing/ a uniform/ a hat/ a security badge/ a suit/ a shirt and tie/ goggles/ a helmet/ an apron/ gloves?
Do you work with people/ children/ animals?
Do you need to speak foreign languages?
Do you work for a company/ the government/ yourself?
Guess the job 20 questions and personalisation
Worksheet 3- Personalisation
Write nine of the following jobs down mixed up in the boxes below. Your partner will then try to guess which each box is an answer to.
- The most high status job in your country
- The most difficult to get the qualifications for
- The job with the longest hours in your country
- The most secure job in your country
- A job you think that you’d hate
- A job you hope to do in the future
- The job of someone who you are meeting this week
- A job you thought about doing but decided against
- A job that you wanted to do when you were a child
- A job that you would like your children to do
- A job that you would hate your children to do
- A job that you think should be better paid
- A job that you would want a boyfriend or girlfriend to have
- A job that you would want a wife or husband to have
- A job that you particularly respect people for doing
- A job that usually makes you distrust people
- An unusual job that you think you would like if you did it
- A job that you would like that is completely different to the one you have or that you will probably actually have
- The strangest job that someone you know has
- The strangest job that you have ever heard about
- A job you wouldn’t consider even if you were unemployed and couldn’t find a job
- A job involved in the most unusual career change you have ever heard about
Discuss questions 17 to 22 in pairs
Listen to three people discuss their unusual career changes (New Cutting Edge Intermediate pgs 51 and 52). The first time you listen, write down their previous and new jobs. Are they generally positive or negative about the changes?
PDF version for easy saving and printing: Job20QuestionsPersonalisation
More jobs vocabulary activities: https://tefltastic.wordpress.com/worksheets/vocabulary/people/jobs-vocab/
More Cutting Edge Intermediate: https://tefltastic.wordpress.com/worksheets/cutting-edge/ce-int/