Work out if all are okay or if one is wrong in each set of sentences below, circling any sentences which can’t be used for making arrangements. They could be inappropriate for reasons of vocabulary, grammar, politeness, functional language or culture.
1. Can we put our meeting off for a couple of days?/ Would it be okay to postpone our meeting until later in the week?
2. Can we fix a time to meet?/ Can we arrange a time to meet?
3. Unfortunately, I’ll be out of the country that week./ I’m afraid I’ll be abroad at that time.
4. I’m meeting up with my friend./ I have a promise with a friend of mine.
5. I have an appointment with my girlfriend./ I have a date with my girlfriend.
6. I have an appointment with my dentist./ I’m seeing my dentist.
7. I have a date with my girlfriend./ I’m going out with my girlfriend./ I’m seeing my girlfriend.
8. I am going out with my friends./ I’m playing with my friends.
9. I expect to see you soon./ I look forward to seeing you soon.
10. I write to you about my party next week./ I’m writing to you about my party next week.
11. How about come for a drink?/ How about coming for a drink?
12. Would you like to go out for dinner on this Wednesday?/ Would you like to go out for dinner on Wednesday?/ Would you like to go out for dinner this Wednesday?
13. I’d love to meet you on Thursday night./ I love to meet you on Thursday night.
14. Thanks for the invitation, but I am flying abroad on that day./ Thanks for your inviting, but I am flying abroad on that day.
15. I’m a bit busy on Friday, but I’m free the following day./ Things are a bit hectic on Friday, but I’m free the next day.
16. I’ll be meeting my boss at that time./ I’m meeting my boss at that time.
17. Will you be free in the afternoon?/ Would you be free in the afternoon?
18. in two days/ the day after tomorrow
19. in two weeks/ the week after next week
20. I hope we can meet up again soon./ I wish we could meet up again soon.
21. Hope that’s okay./ I hope that’s okay.
22. I’m looking forward to seeing you soon./ Looking forward to seeing you very soon.
23. I am writing to you about our meeting next week./ I’m writing to you concerning our meeting next week.
24. I want to meet within two days./ I’d like to meet in the next couple of days.
25. I’d love to, but…/ I would have loved to, but…/ I’d like to, but…
26. Sorry about that./ Please accept my apologies for this change in our plans.
27. I’m afraid I’m busy at that time./ I’m afraid I have a meeting with a client at that time and won’t finish until at least five.
28. Please let me know as soon as you can./ Please get back to me as soon as possible.
29. Tomorrow is fine. See you then./ Tomorrow is fine. See you later.
30. Can we make it three thirty?/ How about half past three?
31. …, if that is convenient with you./ …, if that fits your schedule./ …,if that suits you.
32. Can you fit me in…?/ I know you are very busy, but…
33. Can we change the venue?/ Could we change where we have the meeting?
34. We were scheduled to have a meeting at… but…/ Could we possibly reschedule …?
Match the top four sections above to the kinds of mistakes given in the instructions at the top of the page. (The last one is a miscellaneous section.)
Is the cultural example different in your country or not?
PDF for easy saving and printing: Making arrangements Okay or one error