What places do you think match these criteria? Try to think of at least three places for each.
– Justifiably popular with visitors from your country
– Popular with visitors from your country with no good reason
– Not popular with visitors from your country with good reason
– Not popular with visitors from your country for no good reason
Are there any parts of the world which you or people from your country generally know (next to) nothing about?
What do you know about these regions/ collections of countries? Choose one and brainstorm with your partner, then when you run out of ideas switch to another.
– Buddhist countries
– Catholic countries
– Central America
– Central Asia
– Central Europe
– Communist/ Socialist countries
– East Asia
– Eastern Europe
– Islamic countries
– Latin America
– North Africa
– South America
– Southeast Asia
– Southern Europe
– The Balkans
– The British Isles
– the CIS
– The Commonwealth
– the EU
– the G12
– The Gulf
– The Indian Subcontinent/ South Asia
– The Low Countries
– The Middle East
– the OECD
Change groups. Choose one of the categories above and give examples until your partner guesses which it is.
Do the same with other kinds of countries of your own choice.
PDF version for easy saving and printing: groups of countries country word practice