Market Leader Upper Intermediate New Edition Unit 1
How can you learn to become a better communicator?
Do you think the following statements are true or false?
• Good communicators in their own language are usually good communicators in other languages too
• Body language, gestures and facial expressions are more important than the words you use
• Most gestures are the same in every country
• It’s always important to keep eye contact while
• Using too many gestures to communicate in another language makes communicating too easy and so stops your speech developing
• Good communication cannot be taught
• You can learn to interpret people’s body language
• I would notice if someone was mirroring (copying people’s body language to make them feel sympathetic to you) and feel uncomfortable
• Being a good listener is more important than being a fluent speaker
• You can learn to be a good listener
Compare answers with your partner, and say why you have that opinion
Are there any points you would like to discuss as a class, for example ones you still aren’t sure about?
What are the most important things about being a good communicator?
PDF version for easy saving and printing:Your beliefs about communication