Work in threes or fours with one person as the examiner asking the other people questions from below for four minutes, then switch roles. The examiner should sometimes ask the same question to different people, sometimes use the extra questions below, and sometimes just ask different questions to different people. Make sure each person answers first an equal number of times.
|Useful extra questions
Why/ Why not? What do you think?/ Do you agree?/ And you?
- Are there advantages to exercising together with your friends?
- Are there times when it’s better to give up sport and concentrate on your studies?
- At what age do you think parents should allow their children to give up sport?
- Do you think children should be allowed to choose which sports they do at school?
- Do you think competitive sports are always a good thing?
- Do you think it’s a good idea to teach mainly traditional sports in schools?
- Do you think it’s better for parents to force their children to do sports or to reward them for doing so?
- Do you think it’s good for companies to encourage their staff to get fit?
- Do you think it’s true that most people in the gym are more interested in appearance than healthiness?
- Do you think walking is a good way to stay fit and healthy?
- How important is it to set goals when you are trying to get fit?
- If you could choose to do a sport you’ve never tried, which one would you choose?
- Is it a good thing for young men to try and build up their muscles?
- Is it better for school children to do competitive or non-competitive sports?
- Is it important to keep your muscles strong, or do you think it’s enough to do aerobic exercise?
- Is jogging the best way of getting exercise for free?
- Is joining a gym the best way to get healthy?
- Many people say that young people are unhealthy. Why do you think they say this?
- More and more people are becoming obese these days. Why do you think this is?
- Some people say that exercise is more important than controlling what we eat. What do you think?
- Some people say that the body shapes of fashion models have a bad influence on young people. What do you think?
- Some people set themselves the goal of doing a marathon when they first start running. Do you think this is a good idea?
- What can you do to keep healthy as you get older?
- What do you think people like about weight training?
- What do you think the advantages of competitive sports are?
- What is the best way to lose weight?
- What kind of spectator sports do you like best?
- What’s good about gyms?
- Which is the best exercise for older people?
- Why do you think adventure sports are popular with some people?
- Why do you think some people are so interested in talking about sports?
- Why do you think some people prefer to jog at the gym rather than outside?
- Would you prefer to be skinny or muscular?
PDF for easy saving and printing: FCE Speaking Part Four on sport and exercise