Imagine you have one of the jobs below and answer questions about your past and present education and job experience until your partner works out which person you are.
Variation/ extension: Your partner can only use questions with “How (long/ many/ much/ far/ often/ many times)…?”
1. You are yourself, with your own real job or full time studies
2. You are a native speaking English teacher in a language school in Korea
3. You are a university lecturer
4. You are a university professor
5. You are a university student who is working as a postman as a temporary job over the Xmas holiday
6. You write romantic novels for a living
7. You are a 35 year old CEO of a start up internet company in Silicon Valley
8. You are an Olympic gymnast
9. You are a professional ballet dancer
10. You are Prime Minister
11. You are an au pair
12. You are a taxi driver
13. You are a pilot
14. You still work on your family rice farm because your son doesn’t want to live in the countryside
15. You are a part-time shop assistant in a clothes shop
16. You are a housewife who has just started to work again after her children have left home
17. You are a high court judge
18. You are a celebrity chef
19. You are a window cleaner
20. You are a flight attendant
21. You are an underwear model
22. You are a junior doctor (= a new doctor in a hospital)
23. You are a vet (= animal doctor)
24. You are a famous artist
25. You are manager of a hotel
26. You are a polar explorer
27. You sell the Big Issue on the streets of London
28. You are 70 years old and you work in a supermarket
29. You are a beachcomber
30. You fly a balloon for a living
Worksheet 2- Suggested questions
How much money have you earned so far this year?
How much money have you earned in your life?
How long have you been working in your present job?
How long will it take you to become boss?
How many people do you supervise?
How many jobs did you have before this job? / How many jobs have you had in your life?
How many years did you have to study at university to get your job?
How many hours do you usually work a day?
How many hours have you worked so far this week? (= since Monday)
How much (= what percentage) of your working day is spent using a computer/ outside/ meeting people/ travelling/ cleaning/ etc?
How many times have you been injured in your work?
How many countries have you visited for your work?
How many hours does one job/ task usually take?
How many miles/ kilometres have you travelled so far this year?
How many words have you written this week?
How many people do you meet in an average week (= a normal week)?
How many layers of clothes do you have to wear?
How do you imagine the past and present lives of the last three people above, e.g. what do you think their answers would be to the suggested questions above?
Worksheet 3- Grammar practice
How much money ___________________ (earn) so far this year?
How long ______________________ (work) in your present job?
How long ______________________ (take) to become boss?
How many jobs ___________________ (have) before this job? / How many jobs _________________________ (have) in your life?
How many years _____________________ (have to) study at university to get your job?
How many hours _____________________ (usually work) a day?
How many hours ___________________ (work) so far this week? (= since
How many times ______________________ (injure) in your work?
How many countries ________________________ (travel) for your work?
How many hours ____________________(one job/ task usually take)?
How many miles/ kilometres ___________________ (travel) so far this year?
How many words ________________________ (write) this week?
How many people ____________________ (meet) in an average week (= a normal week)?
PDF for easy saving and printing: Tense review Guess the Job
Headway Pre-Intermediate Unit 13 page