So, the Beijing Olympics is totally on schedule. Damn!
That reaction is partly my fear of what a future China-dominated world could be like. Quite apart from the human rights issues, have you ever been in a restaurant, casino or hotel full of just mainland Chinese? Can you imagine the whole world like that? I just hope Japan will still be a little oasis of calm…
The main reason for my “damn”, though, is my own national pride. Sydney was great, Beijing will be amazing, even the Greeks managed to get their act together- where will I be able to hide when the British fk up London 2012?? So, to take some of the negative publicity away from that organisational mess up and instead give such much needed positive publicity to my much maligned profession, I would like to propose the TEFL Teacher Olympics. Provisional event list:
- Long distance voice projection
- Pre-school children herding (like a sheep dog contest)
- Tag team teaching
- Lesson planning sprint- Finding a particular page in the mock up Teachers’ Room as quick as possible
- Headway quick draw (find the article about how great British food is quicker than your opponent)
- Herding kindergarten kids with a sheepdog
- Throwing chalk at students (points for distance, accuracy and artistic content)
Any other ideas anyone?